The best time of year to prepare your home for Fall/Winter? ***NOW!***
September is the best time of year to prepare your home for cold weather season. Here are the Top 10 Tips to help get you started.
1) Windows/Doors – Easiest way to save on winter energy bills and to eliminate cold drafts. Replace weather strip on all exterior doors. Caulk and seal around windows.
2) Heating and Cooling – Remember to schedule an appointment to do a check-up on all of your home mechanics.
3) Fireplace – Check Damper. Hire a chimney sweep to clean flue
4) Water Heater – Keep clutter and debris away from hot water tank. Check for an leaks. Remember, life span of a hot water tank is between 12 – 15 years.
5) Roof/Gutters – Make sure shingles are flat and gutters are free from debris
6) Garden Hose/Spigot – Turn off outdoor water. Remove hose and store in garage
7) Sprinklers – Hire an experienced company to Winterize your sprinkler system.
8) Prune plants – Best time of year to prune, is now
9) Clean out garage – Remove gas from all lawn equipment and store properly
10) Winterize your gas grill. Do NOT store tank in an enclosed area.
REMINDER – Avoid Carbon Monoxide poisoning. During the fall and winter months, your furnace, hot water tank, fireplace, and ovens are working overtime and may cause Carbon Monoxide build-up. Protect your family by installing a Carbon Monoxide detector for about $20.